- Statistics on Books Sales in the US 950,000 titles out of 1.2 million tracked by Nielsen Bookscan sold fewer than 99 copies
- Another 200,000 sold fewer than 1,000 copies
- Only 25,000 sold more than 5,000 copies
- The average book in America sells about 500 copies
- Only 10 books sold more than a million copies
- Fewer than 500 sold more than 100,000
- Nearly 200,000 new titles are published each year
Do remind me to never try and write a book. Need to stick to blogging for my audience of 4 (yep, I am more popular every day!). These stats do look unreasonably bleak, but I suppose they match the long-tail distribution.